It was a great opportunity for my mom to teach me how to make my great granny's red chili (even though I don't think I'll ever be able to make it quite as good as the original) and she re-taught me how to make cookies. I used to bake SO much when I was younger, but have been out of practice as most of my cooking in the kitchen over the past decade has been meals, not desserts. I blame much of that on over exposure to Food Network... it's just too much fun trying out recipes from Tyler Florence, Alton Brown, Bobby Flay and then dreaming about making the things they do on Iron Chef America! Most of my meals are repeats of the same old same old, so it's nice when I have the chance of the real master in my house (my mom) to give me some pointers and run through a recipe or two with me that I can add to my repertoire.
Millie got a change to do some bonding as well. The two of them made corn bags for me, Ellery and other family members. For those of you who don't know what corn bags are, they're just what they sound like... bags of corn... only better. They're sewn bags filled with feed corn that you can put in the microwave and heat up to get/keep you warm. Perfect for this last week of sub-freezing temperatures around here... and more to come. Millie made me three bags. I chose the fabric: Simpsons, clouds and sheep. My mom made one for Ellery with cute fishies on it.


The week went by very fast and Ellery was sad that Grandma left so early and she didn't get to say goodbye, but we were happy to have the visit and look forward to another.
It's been snowing all day here today, so Ellery convinced me to take a break from being indoors and we went out and built a snowman. First one of the season... probably many more to come - if Ellery has anything to do with it!
7 comments:
What a nice wife to make you corn bags!!!!!!!!
What a cute snowman!!!
Yes she is a nice wife! Don't you forget it Jacob.
I had such a great time with you guys. Thanks for the short notice visit. I wish I could have said good-bye to Ellery too but she does sleep in doesn't she? I had a lot of fun cooking too. Look forward to doing it again sometime. Merry Christmas to all and especially to me!
One more comment....cute cute picture of Ellery and the snowman. good job! I have one of Tevia when she was little and "chubby" and your dad made a snowman that looked just like her and took a picture of her standing by it to compare. I'll have to find it not unless Tev has it already.
I remember that picture... yes, I'm pretty sure Tevs owns it now. :)
Unfortunately I wasn't able to snag that one. so sad. I think it was in the pile of pix that got ruined.
It really sounds like you guys had a great time together. Ellery, as always, is so freaking adorable.
I think I want a corn bag to put on my feet.
Awww, good times. Glad y'all had fun together. I totally forgot about those corn bags. I used to have one, maybe I should make one and keep take it to work in the morning. My car doesn't have heat so I shiver a lot when I'm driving. Maybe a few corn bags in my pockets and shoes will help:-) I love the picture of Ellery in the snow. yay for snow men!!
FUN FUN FUN! sounds like everyone had a wonderful time with auntie monica! I want to make the red chili like great grannie! i need to get into these recipes. we gotta talk your mom into make a recipe book! i remind her often!
I LOVE ELLERY! She is such a freaking ADORABLE little girl! She is sooo pretty!
Post a Comment