Monday, May 18, 2009

Fortune: The Good, The Bad, and The Familial

So much has happened since I was last able to post anything. Let me explain, no wait, that will take too long, let me sum up:

Summer = sun/heat (unless you live in Utah), fishing, tennis, racquetball and school, school school... eventually we'll be able to add Seven Peaks water park to the list too - unless it get's shoved aside by more school for me.

I'm taking Physiology this first block of summer classes and Human Anatomy the second block. Yep, all the fun and excitement of learning about everything you never wanted to know about the human body in a fraction (7 weeks instead of 16) of the time. We'll see if I survive. Hope so, if I'm to keep on schedule for PT school by next summer!

The last few weeks we've gotten to spend a lot of time with the Walls (Jacob and Cari). Jacob and I have done some tennis (I'm not very good) and racquetball (I'm very good), and we've done quite a few fishing "trips;" mostly to the Provo river and mostly resulting in only one fish, Wall's catch, not mine. I was getting pretty sick of not even getting nibbles from those finicky fishes, so when we all decided to go camping and fishing in a "hot spot" I was pretty excited.

This last weekend we went camping at Box Creek in Fish Lake National Park. It was a lot of fun! I'll keep the details at a minimum and save them for another post... maybe. We stayed Thursday night, Friday, Saturday and came back Sunday morning. The fishing was great! We pulled out a number of eight inch trout (perfect for roasting on the fire with a stick) from the creek running through the camp and several more fillet size from the lake (Box Creek Reservoir). The only unfortunate event of the trip (in my book) was my tooth started to REALLY hurt Friday. It felt like an infection and I was doubtful it was a cavity since it was such a sudden, consistent and intense pain. By Friday night Millie was urging me to have Wall drive me back into town (three hours away) to go to the ER. No way I was going to do that, especially at three in the morning as she was suggesting. I survived, barely. Sunday night the pain was so bad I kept vomiting. Millie and the Walls said I was a lovely shade of green... good for broccoli, bad for a Jacob.

I didn't get much sleep last night (as I hadn't the past few nights), up with pain. Even the percocet and IBuprophen wasn't helping. I called the dentist at 7:30 this morning in hopes of getting an emergency opening - no dice. The only opening they had was at 9:30 and I was in Physiology lab till ten and then lecture till noon. Halfway through the lecture the pain was getting so bad again (it was coming in waves) I couldn't even sit up in my chair. The girl next to me thought I was crazy for even coming to class, and suggested I call my dentist back and see if they had any cancellations for the day. I took the advice and called. *Insert Hallelujah Chorus Here* There was a cancellation which gave me the 3:50pm slot! By three o'clock I wanted to pull the thing out myself and have it done with. I went in at 3:30 and they actually got me in and had started the assessment/x-rays by 3:35!!! How often do you see that in a dentist's office?! The problem was as I suspected. Infection. The infection occurred around some nerve endings that survived a previous root canal - a root canal performed by the same dentist's office four years earlier. Because it was their mistake that caused it they offered to redo it at no charge.

Right into it the dentist said, "no wonder you were in so much pain," then had to take a 20 min break to let all the puss and blood/fluids drain from the infection site. Yeah, it was pretty disgusting. However, they did use a little latex collecting umbrella (for lack of a better word) that went around my tooth and over/into my mouth so nothing ever drained into my mouth. It was nice. By the end of the procedure (three hours later) the anesthetics were wearing off and I could feel EVERYTHING again. He gave me another shot but it never did kick in... just made half of my face numb and left the tooth/jaw pain fully intact. It's now been three more hours and the pain has finally subsided, but my cheek is still numb.

Tomorrow is my birthday, 29 years, they've gone by fast! It's been a good birthday month so far as it has summed up a lot of how life goes: I've had some good fortune and some bad fortune, and I've been blessed with some great family (and friends) to share all that fortune with along the way.

4 comments:

Jacob Wall said...

Is that tooth infection regulation size or what!?

Christina said...

Dearest Jacob ~ Happy Birthday!!! Our spouses should form some kind of support group to deal with the two of us and our medical calamities, but I'm glad that you're all patched up now and on the road to recovery.

I hope that you and that perfect little family of yours enjoy your B-day (the last one before you're officially old)!! Thank goodness I'm a whole 18 months younger so I don't have to deal with those geriatric disorders. :)

Birthday hugs ~ C

Carolyn said...

Glad the tooth is on the way to recover. And not that it matters, but you were more spinach green than broccoli green. :) Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Hey little brother! I'm glad you got to go camping and fry up some fish. Awww, as much as I hate fishing, there is nothing like eating a nice camp fire fried fish. I am jealous. I am not, however, jealous of the tooth episode. Yikes!! I can't believe you endured the pain for so long AND had to put up with anesthetic that didn't work. Looks like your taking a page out of Dad's book in that area. You have my sympathy. I love ya little bro. Keep on doing fantastic things. I'll see ya, hopefully, soon. :-)